Monday, May 07, 2007

Oh s#&t, son, it's SA-RA.



So I recently picked up this here album by SA-RA Creative Partners.

I don't know what to say really, except for the fact that I ignored these cats severely for like two years and now I realize that that was pretty lame of me.

This album is a great mix of funk, electronica, soul, and hip hop. It is a smooth, funky, sexy collection of work. Some great cameos by Erykah Badu, Bilal, Georgia Anne Muldrow, and the late great J-Dilla. The Dilla Track may be my favorite. Standout tracks include, "Glorious," "And if," "Rosebuds,", the aforementioned Dilla Track entitled "thrilla," the semi-title cut "Hollywood", and I'm also a big fan of "Sweet Sour You" if not for any other reason than for the fact that Bilal's falsetto=pure sex.

Low points: can't pick a whole lot of them, but i'm going to go with "lean on me" featuring Kurupt (though I like kurupt on here, makes me wanna throw on my blue chucks), and "Tracy"---because it sounds like a Kelis track and I would rather see Kelis on a track like this than this annoying broad I've never heard of.

I also appreciate the slight west coast flavor they bring, seeing as that I am from killa cali and they are too. Given that they share the same hometown of Los Angeles as J*Davey, I wonder if they have collaborated with them? Can someone (*cough* honorable media*cough*) confirm this for me? Furthermore, I wonder if Kanye will sign J*Davey to G.O.O.D records? That would be rather sweet.

I should add that they are Okayartists so you can check them out on that website. You can also check out a pretty decent article about them at HipHopDX.

Oh, back to J*Davey for a second. So the guy in the group, D'Leau....how about I knew him back when we were both pretty young and still living in LA cuz we went to the same church. And his mom sang in the choir and had a beautiful alto voice.

How about, aside from the fact that he had no idea I was alive, I also had the biggest crush on him ever. Yep, sure did.

2 comments:

Tuna Butter said...

J*Davey & Sa-Ra are to join forces, as one of the members of Sa-Ra left a while back. They've been in the studio apparently working on tons of music. I found this out from the bass player that Sa-Ra uses on the majority of their tracks.

black girl blogging. said...

good to know :-)