Tuesday, July 11, 2006

you asked for it:

I called one of my best guy friends this morning. He had a date last night and wanted to tell me how it went since I didn't get to talk to him the night before. Before he went out he wanted me to tell him what makes a date good or memorable?

I hadn't expected that question and I had never really thought about it. I mean the last date I went on was maybe two or three weeks ago. And while I think we both had fun it wasn't necessarily memorable. I can think of five dates I went on that were more memorable than that one. And he was very cute. But it was just good, not "memorable."

So per my friend's request, I will be listing, in no particular order, the things that make a date good and/or memorable

Originality

This one is pretty ignored because everybody and they're momma wants to go to dinner and a movie. And it's always a real generic ass restaurant and a bad movie. I remember one time this guy switched it up and we went to a chinese tea house and then to a moroccan restaurant; there was a belly dancer and everything. That was probably the #1 greatest date i've ever been on.

Sense of Humor

I went out with this dude once and while the date was kept real simple (i think we went to see a movie), this cat had me in-the-floor laughin.

Confident Swagger

not to be mistaken for arrogance, but i love a man who has that confident swagger about him. it makes even average looking cats look like a 10. Men like this I find are great converstationalist, and they also have the above sense of humor.

they are also more likely to make the first move, which takes some of the pressure and anxiety off, cuz it's one less thing i gotta think about.

Good, Intellectual conversation

I once went out with someone who told me that he didn't like to read and that if it wasn't for skoo' he wasn't with it. The date ended immediately.

Chivalry and politeness

This is probably one thing I am old fashioned about. I still like doors being opened for me, a guy walking on the side closest to the street, you know stuff like that. In fact it bothers me when a guy neglects to do stuff like that. would you know that i went out with someone who let me take the metro to meet him when he had a car, and THEN didn't even pay for dinner?

he also was not even trying to hold a decent conversation. I should have went straight home when i saw him pull up in the car, but c'est la vie i suppose.

That's about all I can think of right now but I think I may come up with more.

No comments: